My Cart

Close

Locations

READING ROOM  - CRATHORNE


The foundations of A Still Life were grown around the Reading Room and we are delighted to call it 'home'. Built in 1897 by Lionel Dugdale to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Silver Jubilee, the Reading Room is very much part of the village's farming community and remains the seat of the present day Lord Crathorne, James Dugdale. The village of Crathorne lies on the Northern periphery of North Yorkshire and is less than 5 miles of the North York Moors National Park. Within an hour of the cities of Newcastle, York and Leeds and just one mile from the A19, Crathorne is surprising accessible. Yarm station is a 5 minute drive from the village and direct trains from Kings Cross, York and Edinburgh operate daily. 

We are lucky to have one of the very best village pubs in the North, The Crathorne Arms . If you wish to round off your day with a delicious evening meal by a roaring open fire or taking in the last of the Summers sun in the quirky courtyard, owners Eugene and Barbara McCoy will extend a warm welcome. The pub is very popular so booking ahead is recommended. 

Reading Room
Crathorne
North Yorkshire
TS15 0BB

Ample, free, on street parking is available and there are a limited number of spaces, including disabled parking bays, behind the Reading Room. 

ACCOMMODATION
We recommend...
Crathorne Hall, (2 minute drive to The Reading Room)
The Cleveland Tontine (5 minutes to the Reading Room)
The Golden Lion, Osmotherley (10 minute drive to the Reading Room)
YHA - Osmotherley, (10 minute drive to the Reading Room)
A Place in the Pines , (10 minute drive to the Reading Room)
Woodlands Farm, Thimbleby (10 minute drive to the Reading Room)

.............................................................................................................

GRAYS COURT  - YORK


We feel very privileged to be able to hold a series of A Still Life's workshops at Grays Court in York this year. 
It is possibly the oldest continuously occupied house in the United Kingdom. Dating back in part to 1080 and commissioned by the first Norman Archbishop of York to provide the official residence for the Treasurers of York Minster, the house has an unrivalled history. The house was surrendered to the Crown on 26 May 1547 and the last of the mediaeval Treasurers, William Clyff, resigned. The first post-Reformation owner was Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset. He was given the house in 1547 by King Edward VI, the son of King Henry VIII.

Chapter House Street
York
YO1 7JH
Telephone:  01904 612613
Please note that parking is strictly for residents only, the nearest car park to Grays Court is Monk Bar Car Park, St Johns Street,  YO31 7QR.  York also has a very good Park and Ride service too. 

ACCOMMODATION
A 10% discount is available for all rooms at Grays Court, either the evening before or the evening of the day that our workshops take place (this is subject to availability).  Please quote 'A STILL LIFE' when booking by phone.

We also recommend The Lamb & Lion Inn, York, which is just a 10 minute walk away from Grays Court.

A Still Life - Launching 2017

Subscribe for journal updates and workshop information

SEARCH THIS STORE